Lesson 3: David’s Flight from SaulRelated Media
In this lesson, David is a fugitive pursued by King Saul, who seeks to kill him because of jealousy. David’s vulnerability produces panic and prompts him to act in uncharacteristic ways—making wrong decisions and taking wrong actions.
Mrs. Kraft cautions us not to let troubles set us up to succumb to terror. Follow by faith as God leads, step by step. When bad things happen to us, it does not mean that God has left us or is not caring for us. God is loving and forgiving with us, just as he was with David throughout this dangerous period of life.
1 Samuel 21-24
1. Read 1 Samuel 21. What was David’s emotional state when he escaped from Saul? How did this contribute to his deception of Ahimelech? How did Ahimelech help him?
2. Read 1 Samuel 22:6-23. How did Saul appeal to his men? What did he accuse David of doing? Have you ever been in a situation where you were the one at fault and yet were able to twist it so you made yourself into the victim?
3. What were the consequences of Ahimelech innocent help? How did David respond when he heard the news?
4. Read 1 Samuel 21:10-15; 17:4. What was ironic about David’s flight to Gath? What did his terror cause him to do? What has he not done so far?
5. Read 1 Samuel 22:1-5. How many and what kind of men gathered around David? How many more came (22:13)? Why do you think they came to him? How did he respond to God’s instructions through the prophet?
6. Read 1 Samuel 23:1-29. Before he defended Keilah, what did David do? What did Saul do when he heard David was in Keilah? When he heard, what did David do again? How does this contrast with Saul?
7. Read 1 Samuel 24:1-22. Why did David refuse to kill Saul? What does Saul’s response to David tell us he knew? What lessons do you think David learned through his experiences as a fugitive?
8. Do you depend on God for guidance in the decisions you must make? Are you willing to wait for God’s timing? Have you ever taken matters into your own hands when God wasn’t fast enough? What was the result?