7. JoyRelated Media
- six different colors of construction paper
Setting The Stage
Throughout the devotional remind your children that real joy comes from doing things that make God happy.
1. Sing a song about Joy ( for example: I have the joy, joy, joy down in the depths of my heart -WHERE? down in the depths of my heart - WHERE? down in the depths of my heart. I have the joy, joy, joy, joy down in the depths of my heart - WHERE? Down in the depths of my heart to stay.) Note: If you don’t know this tune, it can be sung as a chant.
2. Talk about the different times you feel real joy. Remind them that real joy comes from doing the things that make God happy. Examples: sharing, helping, showing kindness.
3. Use the magazines to find six pictures of people doing something that seems to give them real joy. Cut out the pictures and glue them onto the six different colored sheets of construction paper, one picture on each sheet of paper.
4. Take the six sheets of paper and lay them face down in the pattern diagrammed below. Make sure no one knows which picture is in which spot.
5. Have the child stand behind a line and toss the ball at the squares. Whichever paper the ball lands on is the paper the child may take as his or her own. Have the child show the picture to everyone else. Explain why the person in this picture seems to have real joy. Help the child include the perspective that the person could be doing something that makes God happy.
Each person should choose one picture and for the coming week should try to do what is being shown in the picture. Ask God for help in doing what your chosen picture demonstrates.
“I Have The Joy”
(as sung at the beginning of the devotional)