People are searching for joy and peace today, but most find these disappointingly illusive. Instead of turning to God, they end up looking in all the wrong places:
1. Money and lots of it
2. Power and influence
3. Success and achievement
4. Philanthropy and acts of kindness
5. A vegan diet
Others who have all but abandoned the hope of experiencing lasting joy and peace have turned to more destructive activities in hopes of temporary escape. They drink alcohol, smoke dope, swallow pills, sleep around, leer at pornography, eat to the point of gluttony, abandon their families and go on shopping sprees.
“Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition, when infinite joy is offered to us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in the slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.” (Lewis, C. S. The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses)
But despite all of the world’s efforts to find peace and joy, the things that it is reaching for often do more harm than good. Why?
1. They fail to provide LASTING PEACE in the face of life's often harsh realities
2. They fail to deal with the PROBLEM OF SIN, the true underlying cause of most of our problems including depression and anxiety.
3. They do not provide PEACE WITH GOD, the only true basis for lasting peace of mind
This short book was written by a man who had found true joy and peace of mind:
1. Even though he was imprisoned at the time! - Phil 1:12-18
2. Even though he was facing capital punishment as a martyr! - Phil 2:17-18
He had the joy that comes from peace of mind, and wanted to share it with others! - Phil 4:4-7, 11-13
These 11 messages were originally preached in 2008 at Crossroads Christian Fellowship in Kau'i Hawaii.
Each of the messages preached in Philippians have the PDF Message (in thorough outline style), as well as PDF Outlines for the listeners (one with blanks and one filled in).
Related Topics: Christian Life