Lecture 5 (Week 6): HandoutRelated Media
Judges 13-16, The Spiritual Fog: Ignorance, Complacency, Apathy
Israel’s spiritual fog
- Israel’s apathy about God’s purposes for Israel (Judges 13:1)
- Samson’s parents’ Ignorance of God’s power (Judges 13:2-3)
- His mother’s apathy about Samson’s purpose
- His father’s ignorance about God’s character (Judges 13:15-20)
- His mother’s ignorance about God’s pre-eminence (Judges 13:24)
- The Judean’s ignorance about their real enemy (Judges 15:9-14)
But God in his mercy acted on their behalf.
Samson’s spiritual fog
- Ignorance or apathy about his purpose
- Complacency about his status as a Nazarite
- Apathy about his gift (Judges 16:4-17)
But God in his mercy answered Samson’s prayers (Judges 15:18-20)
Questions to ponder
- Do you know your God-given given gifts (Ephesians 4:11-16; Romans 12:3-8; 1 Corinthians 12-14; 1 Peter 4:10-11)?
- Do you know God’s particular calling or purpose for your life?
- Are you deliberately building up the church and the kingdom of God by using your gifts for his purposes? (2 Corinthians 5; 1 Corinthians 3:10-15)