The Athanasian Creed: Third Month—Day 13
24. So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one Holy Spirit, not three Holy Spirits.
The foremost commandment is this: “Hear, O Israel; the Lord our God, the Lord is one; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” The second is this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” There is no commandment greater than these. To love God with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as himself are more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices. (Mark 12:29-31, 33)
- Slowly read the Scripture passage several times.
- Reflect and ruminate on the words and phrases in the text.
- Which words, phrases, or images speak most to you?
- Offer the internalized passage back to God in the form of a personalized prayer of adoration, confession, renewal, petition, intercession, affirmation, or thanksgiving.
- What word or image encapsulates the spirit of the passage for you?
- Take a few minutes to present yourself before God in silence and yieldedness. When your mind wanders, center yourself by returning to the spirit of the passage.
Related Topics: Spiritual Life