The following two tracks are designed to aid the student in getting a better grasp on Scripture and the process of discipleship. A brief character sketch is given for each track in order to help you see where you “fit.” The key is: Know thyself! Having said this, however, since the topics are covered in greater detail in track two than they are in track one, make sure that you really do understand the topics in track one. In the long run, it wouldn’t hurt for a person to go through track one, even if they think they already understand these areas.
Carol is a young Christian, or a Christian who has been orphaned (never been discipled or received any form of good teaching). Carol is hungry to grow. She is looking for someone to mentor her. She has been reading her Bible, but it seems so foreign. Carol needs to be grounded in some very basic things. First of all and most importantly, she needs to know who her “daddy” is and what he has done for her. She needs to develop a habit of meeting with her Father to get to know him. She needs to understand who she is in Christ. She needs to have someone lovingly help her expose patterns in her life reflecting her old way of life and show her that these have been broken. It is also critical at this point that Carol experience a loving community in which her spiritual gifts are exercised, she sees true worshippers and honest struggling but victorious Christians. Carol should not abandon her old friends (unless they are harmful to her) but instead should be joined by the Christian community so that she can share her new found love with them.
Overview of Track 1 Lessons:
- The Mission: Discipleship—To Be One and to Make One
- Knowing, Believing, and Sharing the Gospel
- The Bible: God Has Spoken and He Has Not Stuttered
- The Triune God: Who Is He?
- Jesus: God Permanently Clothed in Humanity
- The Holy Spirit: God with Us
- Man and Sin: Who Are We? What Happened? What Is Our Destiny?
- Salvation: What Is the Solution?
- Christian Growth until Glorification: How Do I Love God in the Here and Now?
- The Church: My New Community and Sphere of Service!
- Angels: “Ministering Spirits”
- Satan: Our Adversary
- The End: Salvation, Judgment, and Rewards
John is a growing Christian. He has been discipled perhaps a year. He understands the basic issues of his relationship with God and his position in Jesus Christ. He is beginning to experience victory over old habits. He has fallen in love with the church, but has not been dragged into a Christian ghetto leaving his unbelieving friends in the dust. Instead, he is actively involved with his old friends and has learned to build bridges in order to share his faith with them. John loves to worship God. He is consistently spending 15 minutes everyday reading the Bible and 10 minutes praying. John is still hungry to learn more about his God and to understand the Bible better. He hopes to become a leader in his cell church soon and will be starting as an intern. He is beginning to learn about his spiritual gifts and others in the church are encouraging him to exercise them.
Overview of Track 2 Lessons:
- The Mission: Discipleship—“Takes One to Make One”
- The Bible: God’s Living and Authoritative Word
- New Testament Survey: Getting the “Big Picture”
- Scripture Memory and Theology Plan: “Your Word Have I Hid in My Heart”
- Theology Proper—The Study of God: His Character and Ways
- Christ: His Person and His Work
- The Spirit: Our Comforter and Enabler
- Man, Sin, and Relationships: Who We Are. What’s the Problem? What’s the Solution?
- Salvation: What Does It Mean To Be Restored to God?
- Sanctification: Faith and Growth in the Christian Life
- Satan: To Understand the Enemy and To Stand Firm against His Enemy
- Ecclesiology: Understanding the Nature of God’s New Community
- End Times: How is God Going to End All This?