- “To be a follower of the Crucified Christ means, sooner or later, a personal encounter with the cross. And the cross always entails loss. - Elisabeth Elliot
- “The great symbol of Christianity means sacrifice and no one who calls himself a Christian can evade this stark fact. It is not by any means an easy thing to recognize, within a given instance of personal loss, the opportunity it affords for participation in Christs own loss.” - Elisabeth Elliot
- I once heard the late Jacob Stam pray, “O Lord, the only thing most of us know about sacrifice is how to spell the word!” - Warren Wiersbe, God Isnt In a Hurry, (Baker Books; Grand Rapids, MI, 1994), p. 22.
- High sentiments always win in the end. The leaders who offer blood, toil, tears and sweat always get more out of their followers than those who offer safety and a good time. When it comes to the pinch, human beings are heroic. - Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters (Harcourt Brace) Readers Digest, January, 1996, p. 178
- Ministry that costs nothing, accomplishes nothing. - John Henry Jowett