From Moped to Staurn V
This is how far the following conveyances will go on a gallon of fuel:
- Moped (motorized bicycle), 120 miles.
- Harley-Davidson 1200 (motorcycle), 50 miles.
- Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel (automobile), 42 miles.
- Model A Ford (automobile), 25 miles.
- Piper Cherokee (light plane), 15 miles (at 144 miles an hour).
- Maserati Quattroporte (automobile), 8 miles.
- GMC Astro (tractor-semitrailer combination), 5.4 miles.
- GM (diesel locomotive), 632 yards (at 70 miles an hour, pulling 40 to 50 fully loaded freight cars).
- Boeing 747 (jumbo jet), 280 yards (carrying 385 people at 39,000 feet).
- Ultra-large crude-oil carrier (supertanker), 31 feet. (At 17 miles an hour and fully loaded, this ship needs 41 gallons of fuel to travel its own length.)
- Saturn V (rocket), 10 inches to infinity. (While the Saturn consumes enormous quantities of fuel in its early stages, once it escapes the earth's gravitational field no more fuel is consumed.)