When the 10-year-olds in Mrs. Imogene Frosts class at the Brookside, N.J. Community Sunday School expressed their views of “Whats wrong with grownups?” they came up with these complaints:
1. Grownups make promises, then they forget all about them, or else they say it wasnt really a promise, just a maybe.
2. Grownups dont do the things theyre always telling the children to dolike pick up their things, or be neat, or always tell the truth.
3. Grownups never really listen to what children have to say. They always decide ahead of time what theyre going to answer.
4. Grownups make mistakes, but they wont admit them. They always pretend that they werent mistakes at allor that somebody else made them.
5. Grownups interrupt children all the time and think nothing of it. If a child interrupts a grownup, he gets a scolding or something worse.
6. Grownups never understand how much children want a certain thinga certain color or shape or size. If its something they dont admireeven if the children have spent their own money for itthey always say, “I cant imagine what you want with that old thing!”
7. Sometimes grownups punish children unfairly. It isnt right if youve done just some little thing wrong and grownups take away something that means an awful lot to you. Other times you can do something really bad and they say theyre going to punish you, but they dont. You never know, and you ought to know.
8. Grownups are always talking about what they did and what they knew when they were 10 years oldbut they never try to think what its like to be 10 years old right now.