Charitable Giving Per Capita
- 1980: $214
- 1990: $490
U. S. charity that got the most private donations in 1990: The Salvation Army, $658 million.
- Americans who never give to Salvation Army bell ringers at Christmas: 5%.
- Those who always give: 23%.
Age group that gives the highest percent of income to charity:
- Ages 65 to 74 is 4.4%.
- The lowest: Ages 18 to 24 is 1.2%
Personal income Americans gave to charity last year:
- Poorest households: 5.5%.
- Wealthiest households: 2.9%
Estimated value of time volunteers gave in 1989: $170 billion.