As we look at the cross and interpret it, with the help of the Holy Spirit, and in the light of what the Bible says about it, we see many truths that are basic to personal religion:
- God condones nothing but judges all sin as it deserves, which Scripture affirms and my conscience confirms to be right.
- My sins merit ultimate penal suffering and rejection from Gods presence (conscience also confirms this), and nothing I do can blot them out.
- The penalty due me for my sins was paid for me by Jesus Christ, the Son of God, in his death on the cross.
- Because this is so, through faith in him I am made the righteousness of God (2 Cor. 5:21): i.e., I am justified. Pardon, acceptance, and sonship become mine.
- Christs death for me is my sole ground of hope before God.
- My faith in Christ is Gods own gift to me, given in virtue of Christs own death for me: i.e., the cross procured it.
- Christs death for me guarantees my preservation to glory.
- Christs death for me is the measure and pledge of the Father and Sons love for me.
- Christs death for me calls and constrains me to trust, worship, love and serve.