Missions CommissionRelated Media
The Missions Commission shall be responsible for helping to direct the focus of the church to the outreach into the world's spiritual needs through the ministry of home and foreign missions. They shall accomplish this through the planning and implementing of missionary conferences, missions education and missions projects as may be directed by, or for, the approval of the Board of Elders.
This commission shall consist of an elder, a chairman, and four or more members as necessary to perform its function in the area of missions. Subcommittees shall be appointed as necessary to implement the goals of the Missions Commission. (NOTE: It is desirable to establish "chairs" of progression for training leading to the Commission Chairman.)
1. The assigned elder and the commission chairman will guide the direction and spiritual quality of this commission through guidance, example and prayer.
2. Implement, administrate, uphold and carry out Emmanuel's missionary policy.
1. EVALUATION OF MISSIONARY SUPPORT LEVELS AND NEW CANDIDATES. After evaluation, recommend missionary candidates and missionary support levels to the Board of Elders, Periodic review of missionary needs and support levels shall be made.
2. DEVELOPMENT OF AN ANNUAL BUDGET: Prepare an annual budget of missionary support and other expenditures and submit it to the Stewardship Commission as requested. Includes also a Missions Conference budget.
3. ADMINISTRATION OF SPECIAL GIFTS: Review and recommend special gifts such as:
a. emergency help
c. summer short-termers, and
d. various projects
4. PLANNING AND COORDINATION OF MISSIONARY CONFERENCES: Plan schedules, theme and program activities.
5. ADMINISTRATION OF MISSIONS EDUCATION: Coordinate with Christian Education Commission the planning of missions education within the church body.
6. ADMINISTRATION OF HOSPITALITY ACTIVITIES: Encourage and/or coordinate hospitality activities for the church's missionaries when home. Assist in establishing home meetings.
7. ADMINISTRATION OF THE USE OF THE MISSIONARY HOUSE: Schedule missionaries for the use of the missionary house owned by the church.
8. COORDINATION WITH THE WOMEN'S MISSIONARY SUPPORT GROUPS AND MISSIONARY CUPBOARD.
9. PREPARATION OF AN ANNUAL ACTIVITIES REPORT: This will be incorporated as part of the Board of Elder's annual report to the congregation.
10. ENCOURAGEMENT OF MEMBERS TO BE INVOLVED WITH THE SPONSORING FAMILIES PROGRAM.
11. COORDINATION OF MISSIONARY CORRESPONDENCE: Publish and distribute missionary correspondence by Missionary Update inserts.
12. SCHEDULING, PLANNING, AND COORDINATION OF MISSIONARY FAREWELLS: Includes farewell services, love offerings and refreshments, missionary presentation times, and recommissioning prayers.
13. MAINTENANCE OF MISSIONARY FAMILY PICTURE DISPLAY.
14. INTERVIEWING OF MISSIONARIES TO ASCERTAIN NEEDS.
15. IMPLEMENTATION OF THE FAITH PROMISE PLAN.
16. COORDINATION WITH THE CHURCH CALENDAR PLANNER FOR ALL COMMISSION RELATED EVENTS.
17. PUBLICITY OF ACTIVITIES AND PLANNED EVENTS.
Areas Needing Approval of the Board of Elders
1. NEW MISSIONARY CANDIDATES TO BE SUPPORTED
2. MONTHLY SUPPORT LEVEL ADDITIONS OR CHANGES
3. SPECIAL PROJECTS FOR FUND RAISING EFFORTS
4. SPECIAL GIFTS FROM MISSIONARY FUNDS: In excess of $500 per item, approval by the Stewardship Commission; in excess of $1000, approval by the Board of Elders.
5. BUDGET EXPENDITURES OUTSIDE OF APPROVED BUDGET: Also includes any expenditures over the established guidelines.
Relationship With Other Ministries
Within the Church
1. OTHER CHURCH DEPARTMENTS: Provide information and encourage other departments of the church in fostering missionary education, understanding, helps, prayer and financial support.
2. THE STEWARDSHIP COMMISSION: Shall negotiate rent and payment directly with missionary families using the missionary house.
3. WOMEN'S MISSIONARY SUPPORT GROUPS: Advise when farewell receptions are to be held so
4. they can assist.
5. FACILITY CARETAKER AND FACILITIES COMMISSION: Advise of special services and set-ups when required.
1. Work in harmony with Christian schools and colleges and evangelical mission agencies.