Bible Learning Games And ActivitiesRelated Media
Bible Story ZONK:“ZONK” is a nonsense word that can be pronounced the same in any language. It has no real meaning. The original source of this game is unknown to this writer.
ZONK is played using a set of cards, die cuts (cut outs) of a similar design or any similar material where the one side of the playing pieces are identical. For example, if you are using die cut designs, you can use die cuts of leaves (but they all need to be identical) or of an ark, rainbow, heart, etc.
A giant set of playing cards or even a regular size deck of playing cards can also be used or use the CBS4Kids Bible Storying Game Card Pack of 60 story symbols. Use post it notes and on the opposite side of the story symbol print and attach “point” numbers in the 100’s - 1000’s. Attach the cards symbol side down with rolled tape to a whiteboard or bulletin board or on a large table.
Divide your group into two teams. In turn, a player from each team can select up to three cards, return them over one at a time and must state the story the symbol represents. When children name the story correctly they receive the points on the card for their team and that card is removed from play. They can only continue up to three cards at a turn if they name the symbol correctly. If incorrect, the turn stops and that symbol card is turned back over. The game continues until all cards are removed from play.
If you are using playing cards the face cards become the ZONK cards and the Joker cards can be used for SUPER ZONK.
For using other blank cards or die cuts, you will need about 40 plain cards and 8-10 ZONK type cards with the word ZONK written on the back. All cards must look the same on the side facing those playing the game.
The cards are all placed on a bulletin board, whiteboard or other flat surface. If cards are laminated or have a glossy surface you can attach cards will a small section of rolled masking or other tape.
Next you need a set of questions for the game. Bible question can be drawn from basic Bible knowledge or from last week’s Bible lesson or at combination of questions from the last month or quarter, etc.
If you are playing the game with a mixed age group, make a list of questions in categories, i.e... questions for kindergarten – first grade (ages 5-7, different questions for grades 2-5 (ages 8-10) and then other questions for grades 5&6 (ages 11-12) You will need at least 10 questions for each grouping.
Next you form teams. For all the same age or grade this is easiest just divide your group. For mixed age groups, make sure you assign an equal number from each age bracket to each team.
To Play the Game:
- A player for one team is called on. You ask that player the Bible question. (No helping from their team) If they get the question correct they go to the ZONK board. Then they can begin removing and turning over cards to expose the point value. Whatever point value they turn over, their team gets those points. They may (or may not) decide to continue turning over cards and can turn over as many as they want for their turn. Their team can call out and help them decide what to do. As long as they continue getting point cards their team gets the points, BUT…. if they turn over a ZONK card their team looses all those points in that round. Those cards are removed from the playing field. The player can decide to stop whenever they want. If they stop before turning over before a ZONK card they get to keep those points.
- The next team player is called on and the game is repeated. That player, if answering correctly, gets to play in the same way.
- If a team player gets the question wrong, the opposing team gets one chance to answer the question, and if correct, they get the extra turn.
- If you elect to play SUPER ZONK with a deck of cards and leave the Joker cards in the playing field, if a team player, in turning over cards, turns over a Joker card – their team looses all points up to that level in the game and must begin over collecting points. Since there are only two Joker cards in each deck this decreases the chances of turning over the Joker card.
- At the end of the game each team totals points and the winner is declared.
Some beginning Bible game questions:
Grades 1 / 2
- Who climbed a tree to see Jesus?
- Who was born in the city of Bethlehem?
- Who was thrown into a den of lions?
- Who took his family and animals and birds and other living things and went into a boat called an ark?
- Who ran away from God and took a boat in the opposite direction and was swallowed by a giant fish?
- What was the name of the boy whose father made him a coat of many colors?
- What showed the wise men the way to find Jesus?
- Who came to visit Jesus when he was born and bought him gifts?
- What do you call a man who takes care of sheep?
- What is the name of Jesus’ mother?
- Who is God’s only son?
- Where is Jesus today?
- What did God put in the sky to remind us He would never destroy the earth again with a floor and rain?
- Name three things God created when he created the world
Grades 3 / 4
- What were the names of the first two children of Adam and Eve?
- What Old Testament person lost his strength because of a haircut?
- Who did Jesus raise from the dead who had been buried several days?
- What kind of animal talked to a prophet in then Old Testament?
- Who walked on the water with Jesus?
- What was the name of the boy who had a coat with many colors whose brothers sold him to slave traders?
- Who tempted Jesus on the mountain to disobey God?
- Name 5 of the 10 Commandments
- What was the name of the sea that God dived so the Israelites could leave Egypt and walk across on dry ground?
- What Pharisee came to Jesus at night to ask him about being “born again”?
- When God wrote the 10 Commandments He did not have paper. On what did God write the 10 Commandments?
- How many sons did Noah have who helped him build the ark?
- What did the boy give to the Disciples to help feed lunch to 5 thousand people?
- Who asked God to make the sun stand still so his army could win a battle?
Grades 5 / 6
- How many books are in the Bible?
- How many books in the Old Testament?
- How many books in the New Testament?
- What books make up the “Gospels”?
- What book of the Old Testament contains the 10 Commandments?
- What book of the Bible describes the Fruit of the Spirit?
- Who wrote the first 5 books of the Old Testament?
- What is the last book of the Old Testament?
- Which books of the Bible make up the “Pentateuch?
- Who wrote the book of Revelation?
- What book of the Old Testament states “wise sayings”?
- How many did Jesus feed with five loaves of bread and two fish?
- What is the last book of the New Testament?
- Who did God tell to take his son and sacrifice him on a mountain altar?
- What was the name of the king who tried to kill David?