6. Salvation: What Is the Solution?
The Article: Assurance of Salvation
The issue of assurance and security with respect to one’s salvation is crucial to living a life pleasing to God. How can a person live for the Lord if they’re not sure he is their Lord? How can a person call on a Father, if they’re not really sure he is their Father? But there is a difference between the security of the believer and the assurance he/she has of that security. This article is designed to investigate these issues and help the young believer live by faith, not purely by feeling.
After looking at some important reasons why certain people lack assurance, the article digs into the proper foundation for assurance: (1) the clear teaching of Scripture; (2) the work of Christ, and (3) the witness of the Spirit. Once this foundation has been laid, two important principles are discussed for developing the assured life. Finally, a separate section on the judgment seat of Christ follows, in order that the new believer not come to think that since his salvation is secure he can live as he wants. Christ died for all, “that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised again” (2 Cor 5:15).
1. What do we mean by security? What do we mean by assurance? How are they different yet related?
2. What are some reasons people lack assurance? If you have struggled with assurance, why do you think that is? How can struggles give us assurance and not diminish it? How does our struggle in this area relate to the work of Satan (Ephesians 6:12-18)?
3. What are three aspects to a solid foundation in terms of one’s assurance of salvation? Explain them and how they relate to each other.
4. What are two key principles for developing assurance and how are they to be applied?
5. How do you relate the judgment seat of Christ to security and assurance?