This subject is as tough as it gets. As of 2006, there are 988,968 words in the English language, and I have found that out of all of those words, the hardest one for a man to say is "masturbation." Although talking about it makes us uncomfortable, 95% of men say they have done it (the other 5% lied). According to one survey of 600 men (a cross-section of age and marital status), the average man masturbates thirteen times each month. Although the Bible never expressly condemns masturbation, the practice is rightly considered a sin because of its invitation to lust and tendency to be habit-forming. Men often respond in one of two extremes: We rationalize our behavior or we are paralyzed into inactivity by guilt. How can we get a grip (pun intended) on this most avoided subject?
Can you identify patterns in your sexual habits? What healthy outlets do you have for stress?
How are you dealing with the guilt? Has it paralyzed your effectiveness for Christ?
18 Flee sexual immorality! “Every sin a person commits is outside of the body” – but the immoral person sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God with your body. (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)