Day One Study
1. Read Philemon 1-25. From your observations:
· Who is Onesimus?
· Who is Philemon?
· Who is Epaphras?
· What is going on?
2. What is Paul’s attitude toward both Philemon and Onesimus?
3. What information is given about Philemon and Onesimus in Colossians 4:7-18? What is not said about Onesimus?
4. Why do you think Paul does this?
5. The name Onesimus means “profitable” or “useful.” Note how and where Paul makes use of this in his persuasion.
Day Two Study
6. Read Philemon 1-25. The book of Philemon is a practical application of the teachings Paul wrote in his letter to the Colossian church. What correlations do you see between the two letters? Give specific verses from both letters in your answer.
7. If Jesus Christ is above all powers and authorities, in all believers, and is all we need for earth and heaven, His Word should make a difference in the lives of believers in very tough situations. This is a tough situation. How should both Philemon and Onesimus apply the teaching in Colossians?
8. Why should they be obedient to God’s teaching through Paul?
9. Staying Healthy: What do you learn from this small but powerful letter about forgiveness, reconciliation, and mediating between two parties in conflict?
10. Staying Healthy: What have you learned from our study of Colossians?
Jesus Christ is above all powers and authorities, in all believers, and is all we need for earth and heaven!!