Bible Literacy Quiz
This article is also available in Spanish.
It's alarming to us at Probe Ministries to see the drop in biblical literacy among Americans. Growing numbers of people don't know what the Bible says, even the most basic foundational truths and people and facts.
Evangelical pollster George Barna says,
Over the past 20 years we have seen the nation's theological views slowly become less aligned with the Bible. Americans still revere the Bible and like to think of themselves as Bible-believing people, but the evidence suggests otherwise. Christians have increasingly been adopting spiritual views that come from Islam, Wicca, secular humanism, the eastern religions and other sources.1
That's because we're not reading and studying the Bible. If we don't know what God says is truth, it makes us vulnerable to believing a lie.
|Take the quiz yourself: click here for a format with the questions and answers separated.|
1. Who wrote the first four books of the New Testament?
Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
2. Who wrote the first five books of the Old Testament?
Most conservative scholars hold that the Pentateuch was written by Moses.
3. What two Old Testament books are named for women?
Esther and Ruth.
4. What are the Ten Commandments?
1. I am the Lord your God; you shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife—or anything that belongs to your neighbor. (Exodus 20:2-17)
5. What is the Greatest Commandment?
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." (Matthew 22:37,38)
6. What is the second Greatest Commandment?
"Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39)
7. What is the Golden Rule?
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (Matthew 7:12)
8. What is the Great Commission?
"Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I will be with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:19,20)
9. What was the test of a prophet, to know that he was truly from God?
He had to be 100% accurate in his prophecies. The penalty for a false prophet was death by stoning. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22)
10. To whom did God give the 10 Commandments?
Moses. (Exodus 20)
11. Which two people did not die?
Genesis 5:24 says that Enoch, who was Noah's great-grandfather, "walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away." The other was the Old Testament prophet Elijah, who was taken up to heaven in a whirlwind with a chariot and horses of fire. (2 Kings 2:11)
12. What is the root of all kinds of evil?
The love of money. (1 Timothy 6:10)
13. What is the beginning of wisdom?
The fear of the Lord. (Psalm 111:10)
14. Who delivered the Sermon on the Mount?
The Lord Jesus. (Matthew 5-7)
15. How did sickness and death enter the world?
Romans 5:12 says that sin entered the world though one man, and death through sin. The fall of man is recorded in Genesis 3, where God's perfect creation was spoiled by Adam's sin.
16. Who was the Roman governor who sentenced Christ to death?
Pontius Pilate. (Matthew 27:26)
17. Who are the major prophets?
Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel.
18. What people group is the Old Testament about?
The Hebrews, who became the nation of Israel. They were descendants of Abraham though Isaac.
19. What happened while the Lord Jesus was in the desert for 40 days?
He was tempted by the devil. (Matthew 4:1) Hebrews 4:15 tells us that He was tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.
20. How many people were on Noah's ark?
Eight: Noah and his wife, his three sons Shem, Ham, and Japheth, and their wives. (Genesis 7:13, 1 Peter 2:5)
21. Who was the first murderer?
Cain, who killed his brother Abel. (Genesis 4:8)
22. Which person was afflicted with terrible trials but trusted God through it all?
Job. (See book of Job)
23. Who was Israel's most well-known and well-loved king?
David. (1 Chronicles 29:28)
24. Who was "the weeping prophet?"
25. Who was thrown into the lion's den?
Daniel. (Daniel 6)
26. Who were the two people in the famous fight with a stone and a sling?
David and Goliath. (1 Samuel 17)
27. What is the book of Acts about?
The early years of the church, as the gospel begins to spread throughout the world.
28. What are epistles?
29. On what occasion was the Holy Spirit given to the church?
Pentecost. (Acts 2:1-4)
30. Whom did God command to sacrifice his only son?
Abraham. (Genesis 22:2)
31. What was the Old Testament feast that celebrated God's saving the firstborn of Israel the night they left Egypt?
Passover. (Exodus 12:27)
32. Who was the Hebrew who became prime minister of Egypt?
Joseph. (Genesis 41:41)
33. Who was the Hebrew woman who became Queen of Persia?
Esther. (Esther 2:17)
34. Who was the pagan woman who became David's great-grandmother?
Ruth. (Ruth 4:17)
35. Which angel appeared to Mary?
Gabriel. (Luke 1:26)
36. How did the Lord Jesus die?
He gave up His life while being crucified. (John 19:18)
37. What happened to Him three days after He died?
He was raised from the dead. (John 20)
38. What happened to the Lord Jesus 40 days after His resurrection?
He ascended bodily into heaven. (Acts 1:9-11)
39. What should we do when we sin, in order to restore our fellowship with God?
1 John 1:9 tells us, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
40. How did the universe and world get here?
Genesis 1:1 tells us, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." We are told further in Colossians 1:16 and 17 that the Lord Jesus Christ was the one who did the creating.
41. Where did Satan and the demons come from?
Satan was originally the best and the brightest angel, but he sinned in his pride, wanting to be God. Some of the angels followed him, and these "fallen angels" were cast out of heaven. (Isaiah 14, Ezekiel 28)
42. Who directed the writing of the Bible?
The Holy Spirit. (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21)
43. Where was the Lord Jesus before He was conceived in Mary?
In heaven. (Philippians 2:6-11, 1 Corinthians 15:49)
44. Who taught in parables?
The Lord Jesus. (Matthew 13:3)
45. What are parables?
A short, simple story with a spiritual point.
46. Which two animals talked with human speech?
The serpent in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:3) and Balaam's donkey (Numbers 22:28).
47. With which woman did David commit adultery?
Bathsheba. (2 Samuel 11)
48. Which one of their sons succeeded David as king?
Solomon. (2 Samuel 12:24)
49. Who was the female judge of Israel?
Deborah. (Judges 4:4)
50. Who was the wisest man in the world?
Solomon. (1 Kings 3:12)
51. Who was the first man?
Adam. (Genesis 2:20)
52. Who was the most humble man on earth?
Moses. (Numbers 12:3)
53. Who was the strongest man on earth?
Samson. (Judges 13-16)
54. Where were the two nations of God's people taken into captivity?
Israel was taken into Assyria (2 Kings 17:23), and Judah into Babylon (2 Chronicles 36:20).
55. Which cupbearer to a foreign king rebuilt the wall of Jerusalem?
Nehemiah. (Nehemiah 2:5)
56. Who were the two Old Testament prophets who worked miracles?
Elijah and Elisha. (1 Kings 17 - 2 Kings 6)
57. Which Old Testament prophet spent three days in the belly of a great fish?
Jonah. (Jonah 1:17)
58. What is the last book of the Old Testament?
59. For which Israelite commander did the sun stand still?
Joshua. (Joshua 10)
60. Who was the first king of Israel?
Saul. (1 Samuel 13:1)
61. Who built the temple in Israel?
Solomon. (1 Kings 6)
62. Which of the twelve tribes of Israel served as priests?
Levites. (Deuteronomy 10:8)
63. Which city fell after the Israelites marched around it daily for seven days?
Jericho. (Joshua 6:20)
64. What did God give the Israelites to eat in the wilderness?
Manna and quail. (Exodus 16)
65. Which two people walked on water?
Jesus and Peter. (Matthew 14:29)
66. Who was the first martyr?
Stephen. (Acts 7)
67. Who betrayed Jesus to the priests, and for how much?
Judas betrayed Him for 30 pieces of silver, the price of a slave. (Matthew 26:14-15)
68. What is the Lord's Prayer?
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen. (Matthew 6:9-13)
69. Who was the first person to see the risen Lord?
Mary Magdalene. (John 20:16)
70. Which prophet and cousin of the Lord was beheaded?
John the Baptist. (John 14:10)
71. To what country did the young Jesus and His parents escape when Herod was threatening His life?
Egypt. (Matthew 2:13-15)
72. What was Christ's first miracle?
He turned water into wine at the wedding at Cana. (John 2:11)
73. Which one of the Lord's personal friends did He raise from the dead?
Lazarus. (John 11)
74. Who was the greatest missionary of the New Testament?
Paul. (see book of Acts)
75. Who was Paul's first partner?
Barnabas. (Acts 13:2)
76. Whom did an angel release from prison?
Peter. (Acts 12)
77. Which event caused God to splinter human language into many tongues?
The building of the Tower of Babel. (Genesis 11)
78. Which chapter of an Old Testament prophet's book gives a detailed prophecy of the Messiah's death by crucifixion?
79. Who wrestled all night with the Lord and was left with a permanent limp?
Jacob. (Genesis 32:22-32)
80. Which two pastors did Paul write letters to?
Timothy and Titus.
81. Who was hailed as a god when he was bitten by a snake but nothing bad happened?
Paul. (Acts 28:5-6)
82. Which two New Testament writers were brothers of the Lord Jesus?
James and Jude. (Matthew 13:55)
83. Which two New Testament books were written by a doctor?
Luke and Acts. (2 Timothy 4:11)
84. Who had a coat of many colors?
Joseph. (Genesis 37:3)
85. In what sin did Aaron lead the Israelites while his brother Moses was up on the mountain talking to God?
They made an idol in the form of a golden calf. (Exodus 32)
86. How many books are there in the entire Bible?
66: 39 in the Old Testament, and 27 in the New Testament.
87. What's the difference between John the Baptist and the John who wrote several New Testament books?
John the Baptist was a prophet who proclaimed the kingdom of God was near in preparation for his cousin Jesus' ministry. The John who wrote the gospel of John, the epistles—1, 2 and 3 John—and Revelation, was one of the twelve apostles and one of those closest to the Lord, along with Peter and James. He called himself "the disciple whom Jesus loved."
88. Who saw the Lord appear to him in a burning bush?
Moses. (Exodus 3)
89. How many sons did Jacob have?
Twelve. They were the ancestors of the twelve tribes of Israel. (Genesis 35:22)
90. Who gave up his birthright for a bowl of stew?
Esau. (Genesis 25:33)
91. Which Psalm starts out, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want?"
92. Who disowned the Lord Jesus three times before a cock crowed?
Peter. (Matthew 26:69-75)
93. What did the Lord do just before the Last Supper to demonstrate His love and humility?
He washed the disciples' feet. (John 13:5)
94. Where is the New Testament "Hall of Faith?"
95. Who appeared with the Lord Jesus in glory on the Mount of Transfiguration?
Elijah and Moses. (Mark 9:4)
96. Who is the second Adam?
The Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:45-49)
97. Which Old Testament prophet married a prostitute because God told him to?
Hosea. (Hosea 1:2)
98. What are the two sacred ordinances that the Lord commanded us to observe?
Baptism (Matthew 28:19,20) and Communion, or the Lord's Table (1 Corinthians 11:23-26).
99. What are supernatural enablings that allow a believer to serve the Body of Christ with ease and effectiveness?
Spiritual gifts. (Romans 12:6-8, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4:8-13, 1 Peter 4:10-11)
100. Whose tomb was Christ buried in?
Joseph of Arimathea. (Matthew 27:57-60)
101. Who wrote the book of Hebrews?
102. Which is the "epistle of joy?"
103. What is the book of Revelation about?
The end of the world.
104. Who is the bride of Christ?
The church—that is, all who have trusted Him for salvation. (Ephesians 5:25-27, Revelation 19:7-8)
© 2005 Probe Ministries International
The original version of this article is found at http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.4221247/k.261/Bible_Literacy_Quiz.htm. Articles and answers on lots of topics at Probe.org.