- One thief on the cross was saved, that none should despair; and only one, that none should presume.
- J. C. Ryle
- If there are a thousand steps between us and God, he will take all but one. He will leave the final one for us. The choice is ours. - Max Lucado
- The man who knows his sins is greater than one who raises a dead man by his prayer. - Isaac the Syrian, Preaching Resources, Spring, 1996, p. 71.
- If we put off repentance another day, we have a day more to repent of, and a day less to repent in. - Mason
- It is much easier to repent of sins that we have committed than to repent of those we intend to commit. - Josh Billings
- Many people use mighty thin thread when mending their ways. - Daily Walk
- According to Scripture repentance is wholly an inward act, and should not be confounded with the change of life that proceeds from it. Confession of sin and reparation of wrongs are fruits of repentance. - L. Berkhoff, Systematic Theology, p. 487
- Can true repentance exist without faith? By no means. But although they cannot be separated, they ought to be distinguished. - John Calvin, Institutes, p. 311.
- Moreover, true repentance never exists except in conjunction with faith, while on the other hand, wherever there is true faith, there is also real repentance. The two are but different aspects of the same turninga turning away from sin in the direction of God
The two cannot be separated; they are simply complementary parts of the same process. - L Berkhoff, Systematic Theology, p. 487
- It is not repentance that saves me; repentance is the sign that I realize what God has done in Christ Jesus. The danger is to put the emphasis on the effect instead of on the cause. Is it my obedience that puts me right with God? Never! I am put right with God because prior to all else, Christ died. When I turn to God and by belief accept what God reveals, instantly the stupendous atonement of Jesus Christ rushes me into a right relationship with God. By the miracle of Gods grace I stand justified, not because of anything I have done, but because of what Jesus has done. The salvation of God does not stand on human logic; it stands on the sacrificial death of Jesus. Sinful men and women can be changed into new creatures by the marvelous work of God in Christ Jesus, which is prior to all experience. - Oswald Chambers