A Spiritual Grace
Roy L. Smith says that the art of forgiving is a spiritual grace every Christian should develop. Because this is so difficult to put into practice, he offers the following suggestions:
1. Begin by assuring yourself that compared to Christs suffering you havent been seriously wronged at all.
2. Recall the many kind deeds that have been shown to you, perhaps even by the person who has harmed you.
3. List the benefits you have received from the Lord.
4. Thank Him for blessing you with His love and forgiveness each day.
5. Make an honest effort to pray for the one who has injured you.
6. Go even further by looking for an opportunity to help him.
7. If the offense is especially hard to forget, try to erase the memory by thinking gracious and generous thoughts.
8. Finally, before you fall asleep at night, repeat slowly and thoughtfully that phrase from the Lords Prayer, “Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.”
Some people try to punish themselves for their sins. They do not stand on the promises of forgiveness and Christ propitiation.
- Roy L. Smith