Six Major Skills
Stephen Stumph of N.Y. Universitys graduate School of management, has identified six major skills needed at the top once you get there. They are:
1. Having a vision. Executives must fashion a vision of what the company can be, champion that view and get employees behind it.
2. Managing rivalry. A CEO should not try to eliminate competition between subordinates and sub-units entirely, because it can be positive.
3. Thoroughly knowing the products, customers, and competition.
4. Maintaining a consistent strategy. The best managers stick with the strategy once it is set.
5. Identifying problems early.
6. Accommodating adversity. Senior executives must be able to get around roadblocks and bounce back from failure.