How Does Compromise Occur
Sherman and Hendricks have a seven-step process that, if left unrecognized, could lead to moral compromise:
1. A failure to commit ahead of time to do the right thing.
2. Underestimating evil and flirting with dangerous temptations, thus being exposed to far more powerful evils.
3. A failure to recognize the numerous forms of compromise lurking at every corner of life.
4. A failure to recognize the smooth flatteries and enticing fantasies of temptations. For example, overstating expenses on your expense report. After all, you company has a large budget and youve been a loyal employee who works overtime.
5. Succumbing to slick rationalizations. I have a Christian acquaintance who is proud of the fact that through the process of bartering he can avoid paying additional income tax, even though this is illegal.
6. A sudden, deliberate choice to give in to sin.
7. A failure to consider the costly consequences of sin.