Faith Is the Victory
Scripture Background: Hebrews 11:1-40; Text: Heb. 11:1-6
What is faith?
(1) Saying "Amen? to God.
(2) Forsaking All I Take Him. Acrostic: F-A-I-T-H.
(3) Famous definitions:
- "Faith is to believe what we do not see, and the reward of this faith is to see what we believe."?AUGUSTINE.
- "If the blind put their hand in God's, they find their way more surely than those who see but have not faith or purpose.? "HELEN KELLER. II Cor. 5:7.
- "Faith is the title'deed of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.? Heb. 11:1?HARRY RIMMER.
(4) The snowflake said to the mountain below, "Can you hold me up"? 1 John 5:4-5, "and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.'
(5) This great "Faith? chapter emphasizes what faith does, with only v. 1, telling what faith is, and the other 39 verses demonstrating what real faith accomplishes.
I. FAITH BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE. The Vindication of Faith.
1. In Creation. v. 3, 'through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear,? Psalm 33:9, II Peter 3:5.
2. The Resurrection of Christ and the dead, Hebrews 11:17-19.
3. The Miracles, John 20:30-31. 'signs.'
4. That God could love and save sinful man, John 3:16.
5. The Trinity of the Godhead, Colossians 2:9; Matthew 28:19; Genesis 1:26-27.
6. The Incarnation of Christ, John 1:14; II Timothy 3:16.
II. FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE. The Vision of Faith. Hebrews 11:1, 3, 7, 13, 27.
"For he (Moses) endured, as seeing Him Who is invisible,? 11:27.
1. The Invisible God, verse 27.
2. The Unseen and Unknown Future'the Flood, Noah verse 7.
3. The Promises of God, The Old Testament Saints, verse 13.
4. Moses saw Jesus and His Riches, verses 26, 27.
5. Abraham saw Jesus? Day and Rejoiced, John 8:56.
"For we walk by faith, not by sight,? 2 Corinthians 5:7.
III. FAITH ACHIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. The Victory of Faith, verses 4, 6.
1. The Dead Speak, Abel, verse 4.
2. Pleases God, Enoch, verses 5, 6.
3. Defy God's natural law of gravitation. Peter, Matthew 14:30-31. Walked on water.
4. Move Mountains, Matthew 17:10; Luke 17:6.
5. Abraham and Sarah become parents of Isaac in Old Age, verses 8-11.
6. Stopped the mouths of lions, verse 33.
Christ: "All things are possible to him that believeth,? Mark 9:23.
Paul: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me,? Philippians 4:13.