- Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. - Zig Ziglar
On Being a Good Employee
1. Be loyal. Bosses will forgive carelessness, stupidity, tardiness and the occasional temper tantrum. These can be corrected, but disloyalty is a true character flaw. You cannotand will notbe trusted.
2. Keep the boss informed. The boss should be informed about what you are doing, where you are, whom you are talking to and why. If you must err, err on the side of overkill. Bombard the boss with bulletins, memos, and FYIs until he or she says, “Stop.” No one had ever lost a job because they told the boss too much.
3. Embrace change, even if you do not understand it. Any boss must, as part of his or her job, instigate change. It is not your job to resist.
4. Respect the bosss time. If you need thirty minutes with him, dont take sixty. Better yet, take twenty.
5. Dont tread on his turf. At least, dont do it without permission.
6. Follow up quickly. Bosses dont pull out a stopwatch when they give a command. But their internal clock is ticking.