This study guide consists of 13 lessons. Each lesson begins by asking you to read the whole Bible passage for the lesson in one sitting to get the “big picture.” If you cannot do the entire lesson one week, please read the Bible passage.
Process of Bible Study: Each lesson includes core questions covering the passage narrative. These core questions will take you through the process of inductive Bible study—observation, interpretation, and application. The process is more easily understood in the context of answering these questions:
· What does the passage say? (Observation: what’s actually there)
· What does it mean? (Interpretation: the author’s intended meaning) Many of the questions are interpretation questions.
· How does this apply to me today? (Application: making it personal) Your Joy Journey questions are the application questions in this study. These lead you to introspection and application of a specific truth to your life.
Deeper Discoveries (optional): Embedded within the sections are optional questions for research of subjects we don’t have time to cover adequately in the lessons or contain information that significantly enhance the basic study. If you are meeting with a small group, your leader may give you the opportunity to share your “discoveries.”
Study Aids: To aid in proper interpretation and application of the study, six additional study aids are located where appropriate in the lesson:
· Historical Insights
· Scriptural Insights
· From the Greek (definitions of Greek words)
· Focus on the Meaning
· Think About It (thoughtful reflection)