When in charge, ponder
When in trouble, delegate
When in doubt, mumble
Years ago a professor at Stanford devised a check lest of nine questions that can be applied to any problem. Used as a self-quiz, the questions spur imagination. They are:
1. Is there a new way to do it'
2. Can you borrow or adapt'
3. Can you give it a new twist'
4. Do you merely need more of the same'
5. Less of the same'
6. Is there a substitute'
7. Can the parts be rearranged'
8. What if we do just the opposite'
9. Can ideas be combined'