- A father is a thing that is forced to endure childbirth without an anesthetic.
- A father is a thing that growls when it feels goodand laughs very loud when its scared half to death.
- A father never feels entirely worthy of the worship in a childs eyes. Hes never quite the hero his daughter thinks, never quite the man his son believes him to beand this worries him, sometimes. So he works too hard to try and smooth the rough places in the road for those of his own who will follow him.
- A father is a thing that gets very angry when the first school grades arent as good as he thinks they should be. He scolds his son though he knows its the teachers fault.
- Fathers are what give daughters away to other men who arent nearly good enough so they can have grandchildren who are smarter than anybodys.
- Fathers make bets with insurance companies about wholl live the longest. Though they know the odds, they keep right on betting. And one day they lose.
I dont know where fathers go when they die. But Ive an idea that after a good rest, wherever it is, he wont be happy unless theres work to do. He wont just sit on a cloud and wait for the girl hes loved and the children she bore. Hell be busy there, too, repairing the stairs, oiling the gates, improving the streets, smoothing the way.
- Paul Harvey