James Engel summarized the belief system and the presuppositions that commonly prevail among what he calls modern man:
- God, if He exists at all, is just an impersonal moral force.
- Man basically has the capacity within himself to improve morally and make the right choices.
- Happiness consists of unlimited material acquisition.
- There really is no objective basis for right and wrong.
- The supernatural is just a figment of someones imagination.
- If a person lives a “good life,” the eternal destiny is assured.
- The Bible is nothing other than a book written by man.